
Aug 22, 2026
Jannik Sinner Withdraws From US Open 2026 With Knee Injury
World No. 1 Jannik Sinner has confirmed he will not compete at the 2026 US Open as he continues to recover from a right knee injury. The 2024 champion announced the decision on Friday, saying he requires more time following his latest setback.
Sinner’s absence removes a former New York winner from the fourth and final Grand Slam of the year. His withdrawal was announced a day after Carlos Alcaraz, the defending US Open champion, confirmed that he will return from a wrist injury to play in the tournament.
Sinner says recovery needs more time
In a statement, Sinner said he and his team had made the difficult decision not to compete after returning to the court in Monte Carlo in recent days.
“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner said.
“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realised that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue.”
The Italian added that he was sad and disappointed to miss the event, describing New York as a place that has special meaning to him. Sinner won the US Open in 2024 and had been looking forward to returning to play in front of the tournament’s fans.
The decision comes after Sinner’s Wimbledon title earlier this year, won during Alcaraz’s absence. Sinner’s 2026 US Open withdrawal, however, means he will not take part in the final Grand Slam of the season as his recovery continues.
Alcaraz set for return after wrist layoff
Sinner’s announcement followed confirmation that Alcaraz will compete at the US Open after being sidelined since April with a right wrist injury. Alcaraz missed both the French Open and Wimbledon during that absence.
The Spaniard enters New York as defending champion and as a seven-time Grand Slam winner. He and Sinner met in last year’s US Open final, where Alcaraz won in four sets.
With Alcaraz returning and Sinner unavailable, the two rivals will not renew their most recent US Open final meeting at the 2026 event. The tournament will instead proceed without the world No. 1 and 2024 champion, while Sinner focuses on reaching full fitness following the right knee issue.
For Sinner, the announcement makes clear that recovery remains the immediate priority. Although he has resumed on-court work in Monte Carlo, he said the assessment over the past several days showed that more time is needed before he can return to competition.
The US Open had been a significant destination on Sinner’s calendar because of his previous title in 2024 and his stated connection with New York. But his confirmed withdrawal now places the focus on his rehabilitation rather than a return at this year’s tournament.
What the withdrawal means for the US Open
The 2026 US Open will be played without its former champion and current world No. 1, while its defending champion is set to return after a lengthy injury absence. Sinner’s statement did not set out a timetable for his next tournament or a date for his return to competitive action.
His absence is a notable development ahead of the season’s final major, particularly after the Sinner-Alcaraz final in New York last year. For now, Sinner has said he needs additional time to recover before returning to the court in competition.


