
Aug 23, 2026
Former World Champion Boxer Zolani Tete Killed in South Africa
Former world champion boxer Zolani Tete has been shot and killed at his home in South Africa, government officials said. Tete, 38, was killed in his car in Mdantsane in the Eastern Cape, according to South Africa’s sports, arts and culture minister Gayton McKenzie.
Police said Tete was arriving at his residence and waiting for the gate to open when he was ambushed by two armed suspects wearing balaclavas. A 27-year-old woman who was in the vehicle with him was shot multiple times and taken to hospital, McKenzie said.
The death of Tete ends the life of a boxer who held world title belts at flyweight and bantamweight. The reported circumstances place the shooting at his home as he was returning to the residence, with police identifying Mdantsane as the location of the attack.
Police say attack happened as Tete arrived home
Authorities said the shooting occurred while Tete was in his vehicle outside his residence. Police said the gate had not yet opened when the two armed suspects ambushed him. The suspects were described as wearing balaclavas.
McKenzie said Tete was killed in the car. The woman travelling with him was also hit by gunfire and remains in hospital after being shot multiple times. No further details about her condition were provided in the information released.
The case is being investigated by police following the shooting in Mdantsane, a township in South Africa’s Eastern Cape province. The available account from officials identifies the timing of the attack and the presence of two armed suspects, but does not provide a motive.
Tete’s killing was confirmed on Friday by government officials. The report did not state whether any arrests had been made in connection with the shooting.
A career that included world title belts
Tete was a former world champion whose career included title belts in two weight categories. He held world title belts in the WBF flyweight category from 2007 to 2008.
He later held the WBO bantamweight title in 2017 and 2019. Those achievements placed him among the South African boxers to have won recognised world honours across his professional career.
The confirmation of his death has drawn attention to both his record in the ring and the circumstances described by police outside his home. At 38, Tete had been identified by officials as a former world champion boxer, with his WBF flyweight and WBO bantamweight title history forming the central outline of his sporting career.
Officials have said Tete was shot as he arrived at his residence in Mdantsane. Police said he was waiting for the gate to open when the armed suspects approached. The woman in the vehicle was hospitalised after the incident, while the investigation into the shooting continues.


